WordPress is a popular content management system (CMS) that allows you to create a website or blog from scratch, or to improve an existing website. This guide will show you how to set up WordPress on your localhost server.
What is Local Host Server
A Local Host server is your own computer with an operating system such as Windows or Mac that you can run a website from without going online to the public internet. If you want to test your website locally before deploying it online, you can do so using your local host server. In LocalHost you can create a server in your own computer system and use it as a safe place to host your website prior to taking it live on the internet. It can also serve for testing purposes and debugging of applications because you can have full control of the environment without having to worry about errors caused by unpredictable internet traffic.
Why we need Localhost
If you are learning Website Development, then you will need some server setup. Usually we can buy hosting packages from Hosting Companies. But if you are learning Website Development/WordPress then there is no need to spend money on hosting part. You can simply setup a web server on your own computer. By this you can interact with files directly instead of using HTTP protocol which is possible only if you are using a remote server (hosting company). Also, it is helpful when you are trying to design a CMS based website where you will install an CMS like WordPress on a web server and then add content to your website by editing the WordPress code. This is a great way to learn the CMS by doing rather than reading about it.
Some Best Software to setup Localhost
Here are some of the best softwares to setup Localhost in your computer.
- Xampp: It is one of the best softwares to setup local host. This software is available in all the platforms – Windows, Linux and Mac OSX. You can get this software from the official website and install in your machine.
- WampServer: This is another great software to setup Localhost server. It is available for Windows, Linux and Mac operating systems. You can get this software from the official website and install in your machine. It is easy to install and simple to set up. You can also use it for hosting local websites as well.
- MAMP: It is also a great software to setup Localhost. It can be used for setting up local web servers in Windows, MacOS and Linux operating system. You can get this software from the official website and install in your machine. It is easy to install and simple to set up. It also comes with built-in PHP version which is required for developing web applications.
- MAMP Pro: It is a paid version of MAMP which is available for free. This software is also available for Windows, Linux and Mac OSX. You can get this software from the official website and install in your machine. It is very simple and easy to setup. It is also a great software and a good alternative to Xampp.
- IIS: It is a free software which is available for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux operating systems. IIS stands for Internet Information Services. With IIS you can do a lot more than just hosting a website. You can also use it to create a web server for your business. The best part about this software is that it is not complicated and can be used easily by anyone even without any prior knowledge of web servers.
- Webmim: It can also be used to setup a web server which can be used for hosting a local website. It comes with a simple user interface which makes it easy to use. It has inbuilt PHP version which is required to develop web applications. You can use it with Apache or Nginx as web server in the software. One of the best things about this software is that it is available on both Windows and Mac OS for free.
So you can you any of the above software to setup a local web server and host your local website or app without any hassle.
Also Checkout: Best Free WordPress Tutorials.
How to Install Xampp
Here are the steps to install Xampp in your computer.
- Go to the official website of Xampp and get the software.
- Open it and click on the file named xampp-version-win-x64.exe or xampp-version-linux-x64.sh depending on the operating system you are using. This will start the installation process.
- Next, click on Next and then finish the installation. Once the installation is complete, you will be asked to restart your system. Do so and you are ready to use Xampp.
- You can start Xampp Control Panel by clicking on the Start button and typing Xampp Control Panel in the search box. Now double-click on Xampp Control Panel to launch the application.
- From the panel you can start all the necessary services you need for your website or app.
Here are the steps to Install WordPress:
- Go to your “localhost” in your browser by typing the address http://localhost. This will open the Xampp control panel in your browser.
- Now go to htdocs folder. You will find this folder in the directory where Xampp is installed.
- Get WordPress on your computer and then unzip the folder on your computer.
- Copy the WordPress folder in the htdocs folder.
- Go to your browser and in the URL Bar type: http://localhost/wordpress/.
- It will open the WordPress Setup Wizard in your browser.
- Now you will need to setup Database for installing WordPress. You can create a database by typing URL: ‘http://localhost/phpmyadmin’.
- Now you can setup your WordPress by filling the fields provided in the wizard. You need to provide admin username and password too.
Below you can also find the video tutorial for install WordPress in Xampp. Enjoy!